May 20, 2013
Cleaning Your Toys Out?
Before you have a garage sale or throw things away: We could use gently used toys, furniture, supplies, etc. to help fill our Preschool, Daycare, and Kids Club with fun activities. Let us know and we will even come and pick things up! Thanks!
Destress Reading Time...is this even possible? With the expectations now on children, we worry at times that we push them too hard, but the state's expectations are ever-changing and ever-growing; therefore, we understand the more you can do at home to help us, the better your child will be. I have spent the last 20 years answering parents' questions, “What can I do at home to help my child over the summer?” My first comment has always been, "Read to them, with them and let them read to you!" I just read an article that I wanted to pass on which showed 5 tricks to boosting your kids' reading confidence and I liked them. So here goes...
- Make it a game: While your child is reading, discuss the pictures, hunt for words he knows, or ask him if the story reminds him of an event that’s happened to him.
- Go to the dog(s): Reading to dogs or other animals will help boost a child's skills. Animals are non-judgmental; kids feel safe reading aloud to them.
- Get crafty: Add some books to your library that you and your child make together. You can pick to make a book about something they like.
- Shorten sessions: Watch your child's attention span during similar activities, use a timer, and slowly increase as they get better and better.
- Look past books: Read all the time for trips to the grocery store by making a grocery list, trading cards, even a cereal box!
- Kdgn-3rd Graders: Friday, June 7, from 1-3pm; rain date will be Thursday, June 13. These students will be traveling to Jefferson to join them in these events.
- Young Fives: Monday, June 3 from 9-11:00am at Lincoln School
- This year's theme will be "Survivor" with cooperative team games. Items needed: water, healthy snacks, and volunteers to help run the events. Please contact Jaci Hoorman at Jefferson School or by e-mail:
- Reminder to parents: Students should come dressed in appropriate attire for physical activity. There will be water events; therefore, expect your child to get wet. Please wear tennis shoes and remember to apply sunscreen. Girls, wear shorts under dresses.
Kinder Learning Academy & Kinder Childcare Center
We are so happy to be taking applications for:
- 2013-14 Kinder Learning Academy 3 & 4 year old preschool
- 2013-14 Kinder Childcare Center for children 2 years, 9 months to 5 years of age.
- Kids Club (after-school program) is continuing to take applications for this year and next: Young Fives through 12-year-olds.
If you are interested in either of these programs, or have questions, please feel free to call Lincoln School's office or come in and see us!
- May 22: Alligator Man to Lincoln
- May 24: Kindergarten Field Trip to Nottawa Fruit Farm
- May 27: No School - Memorial Day
- May 29: ESL Students to Binder Park Zoo
- June 3: 3rd Grade Field Trip to Sauder Village
- June 3: Young Fives Field Day, 9-11am
- June 5: 2nd Grade Field Trip to Science Central
- June 7: 1st-3rd Grade Field Day at Jefferson Elementary with Lincoln, 1-3pm
- June 10: ESL Students to Pokagon State Park
- June 14: Last Day for Students